Police have updated that in the case of the nurse being burnt after taking an MRT train, she had sat on what is likely sodium hydroxide, and not acid as was widely believed.
In a media statement, the police said that this was the initial finding, but since investigations are still ongoing, they cannot give more details.
Sodium hydroxide, also known as caustic soda, is a cleaning agent that is corrosive. It is usually found in cleaners to declog household drain pipes, and users usually have to wear rubber gloves or risk getting their skin burnt.
On 5 May, police arrested a 52-year-old suspect in connection with this case after media reports surfaced on the incident and the 24-year-old nurse was hospitalised last week.
Read report – Nurse burnt by unknown liquid on MRT seat: Man arrested
It is believed that the man arrested in this latest case is not connected to the other two earlier cases of people also burnt while taking public transport.
Last month, a teenager suffered second-degree burns on his thigh after sitting on some fluid at a bus stop seat in Bukit Batok.
In March last year, a 27-year-old hairdresser was taking the MRT’s North-South Line when she sat on a wet seat and suffered burns on her right buttock.